Thursday, July 31, 2008

In some weird way

I can hear noises, people talking. Everything is spoken in a language not heard often by me. When I hear myself speak, the language sounds alien, the person feels like another. This is a part of my heritage, and I perhaps I should feel more of a kinship with it, and all I can think is when is my train? I am playing the part of an observer more than ever in my life. All these people, here assembled, for this day, for this person, no longer among us. Each of them made up of different ambitions, different agendas, but also real sorrow. It’s hard to reconcile the almost cartoonish versions of them that have presented to me in stories, with the real people, who seem so much more. Not to say that I have new found affection for them, or love or respect. These are people I did not think I would ever have to know in my life. And yet, here I am, wondering what it must be like to them, and to live their lives.

No comments: